Have you ever heard of a Dump Cake? I know, the name is a bit ridiculous. Anyway, it's quite the fun treat - especially for hot summer days when you just DON'T WANNA!
The concept of a Dump Cake is that you take ingredients and dump them all into a pan and bake it. Magic happens and you end up with a scrumptiously delicious cake! True, it comes out a bit more like a crumble or cobbler, but the flavor is what matters and, boy, is this one yummy!
I had a hard time deciding which flavor profile to go with while shopping. I've heard so much about the classic strawberry pineapple combo that I wanted to try something different. I didn't know how it would come out but I figured it was worth a shot!
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my Raspberry Lemon Dump Cake!
I know, shocking. If it's not an Oreo dessert, it's a raspberry or lemon one. What can I say? Raspberry is such a fun fruit to pair with other things (like chocolate, for example!) and lemon is just so gosh darn refreshing in the summer.
Since these cakes come together usually with pie filling, I wasn't so sure what would happen when I mixed the raspberry pie filling with the lemon creme (commonly used for lemon tarts or bars). I figured why the heck not just try it - so I did. Keeping it simple with a yellow cake mix on top, this Dump Cake makes your mouth pucker and smile.
What I love about a Dump Cake is the ease and casualness of it. Even the topping is simple - it's just Cool Whip in all its fluffy glory with some raspberries to boot! BOOM! Summer dessert made simple!
Because really, what's better than a forkful of cake with Cool Whip on top?
Lemon Raspberry Dump Cake
- 1 can raspberry pie filling
- 1 can lemon creme filling
- 1 box yellow cake mix (but I bet a lemon cake mix would ROCK!)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 8oz container Cool Whip (or your own homemade whipped cream!)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour both cans of filling into a 9x13 pan and mix them up just enough so that they're encorporated but not overly mixed together.
- Sprinkle cake mix evenly over the pie filling mixture.
- Slice butter into squares and place evenly over top of cake mix.
- Bake in oven for 45min - 55min or until cake is golden brown (FYI - it will not appear firm like a normal cake so be careful to not over bake!).
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Carefully spread Cool Whip topping over the top of cake and decorate with fresh raspberries if desired.