Well, well, the Liebster Awards are back in town and the adorable Mona over at Curls & Cakes nominated little ol' me! Well, I'm beside myself. Thanks, chickie!
For those who don't know what the Liebster Awards are, here is the quick and dirty of it: you get nominated, you list 11 random facts about you, you answer 11 questions, then you nominate 11 more bloggers. BOOM! Fun, no?
I figured this would be fun and casual - just like my new Matilda dress from LindyBop covered in bicycles! I wish this had arrived sooner so I could have posed in it among the hundreds of Amsterdam bikes I spotted in my adventures a few weeks back but can you believe it arrived the day I left? Figures...
But it's here now! And I love it to pieces! It's so fun and super casual feeling. It runs a bit larger than my other LindyBop dresses but not terribly so. Hey, perhaps I found my Thanksgiving dress? More food for me! Priorities, people...
OK! Shall we get on with the fun stuff?
Here's 11 Random Facts About Me!
- While I am not shy or quiet, I am actually an introvert! Did you know being introverted has nothing to do with how quiet or shy someone is? It's true! Look it up!
- I own a freelance photography business on the side, SaraLily Photography (you can find some of my work on this blog, too!)
- While I don't believe in love at first sight, I experienced something at first sight with my boyfriend of almost 4 years, Cody. The moment I shook his hand and caught a glimpse his dimples when he grinned at me, a big siren went off in the back of my head and my first thought was, "ALERT ALERT! TROUBLE AHEAD!" Oh was he...
- I am a middle child with two sisters.
- When I'm bored, I bake. My colleagues (and Cody's!) benefit from lazy Sundays...
- Though I haven't always worn petticoats and retro clothes, I have always stood out. I was a walking Limited Too catalog in middle school and loved Lizzie McGuire like you'd never believe.
- I don't like Harry Potter. At all. Don't bother trying to change my mind. Just don't.
- I'm kind of a music snob.
- I love love LOVE Christmas time! It's my absolute favorite time of year!
- I would love to be a mom someday and bake with my little kids like my mom used to with us.
- I drive a bright blue Nissan Juke that wears antlers and a red nose during winter time!
1. What inspired you to start a blog?
I used to write ALL THE TIME. I'm talking novels, people. I didn't have many friends and didn't do many after school activities so when I was done with homework, I'd go up to my room and write up a storm. So fast forward to being an adult with a full time job - I no longer write like crazy. There's just no time. I think of ideas occasionally, but the power and time to write a new novel just isn't there. I started the blog to post my outfits and recipes but also to start writing again. It feels good to have a writing outlet again!
2. Who is your favorite style icon?
I'm not kidding when I say, YOU! More specifically, my blogger pals that I follow every day! We have a unique style, us retro/pinup/vintage gals. I am inspired everyday by your #ootd posts and style posts. I am always learning something new like how to tie a hair scarf or a new way to pair cardigans with swing skirts. It's such a great community to be a part of!
3. Can you name two of your favorite bloggers and explain why they are your favorites?
I have SO many but I've loved The Domestic Rebel and The Soubrette Brunette since I joined this blogging world. The Domestic Rebel is run by Hayley, an awesome baking wizard with food tattooed all over her body! I love her sassy and "hear me roar" attitude with her kickass treats! The Soubrette Brunette is fun by Sammi, a theatrical beauty who always looks like perfection in every dress she poses in. I love her confidence, perfectly straight bangs, and little stories she posts. I especially love when she gets her friends to pose with her!
4. What's one wardrobe essential you can't live without?
These days, my petticoats! A year ago, I felt so strange and shy when I wore one and only did once in awhile. Now, when I don't have one on, it feels totally odd and I feel naked! I wear one nearly every day now!
5. How would you describe your blogging style?
My blog is definitely a big combo of things but mostly, it swaps between style posts and recipe posts! What's better than cute dresses and food? Exactly. I also love to write so my posts have some reading to them - I like when I can write a story in relation to my outfit. I'm not a fan of style posts that are just one liners describing the outfit followed by a long string of photos. I want to hear more about the person IN the clothes!
6. What is your greatest achievement outside of blogging?
My greatest achievement outside of blogging would be my current job as a whole. When my division at work merged with another division, we became one mega division. My team expanded and my boss divided us into two sides - campaigns and events. I could have stayed with the known and kept working on campaigns but I went for the unknown and started to learn events and trade shows. Now, almost a year later, the things I've learned and the places I've gotten to go amaze me. I am so proud of myself for taking on the challenge of a new role!
7. What was the last book you read?
I devoured Mindy Kaling's "Why Not Me?" on the plane ride home from Amsterdam. Look out for it on this month's "What's Sara Reading?"!
8. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Currently, I've seen so many more places than I have ever seen thanks to my job but I would love to return to Europe for fun and spend some time in Germany so I can see my #bestdressfriend Anna again! We met on Insta and then met in person when I was in Amsterdam and I wish we weren't so far away!
9. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I HATE THIS QUESTION! I really do but because it's for you, I will answer it honestly. I would love to be married at least starting to plan a family. Ideally, I'd like to either have a baby or be pregnant by this time but I won't be picky there - it'll happen when it's meant to happen.
10. What was the first movie or book that made an impact on your life?
Oh this is HARD! I am such an avid reader and movie lover, how can I choose? The first thing I think of is this series of books about Georgia Nicholson that my sisters and I read in middle school - the first one was "Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging" or something like that. They were silly but I remember reading them and realizing I wasn't so weird after all and that being different and quirky and unique was kinda cool and a good thing. I've been proudly quirky and unique ever since!
11. What advice would you give someone who just started blogging?
Whatever you do, just KEEP doing it. There's a lot about blogging that I am still figuring out but as long as you stick to it, make it consistent, and keep posting, you're doing it right. When I first started, my only readers were probably my sister and my friends. I just kept posting and kept writing and just kept blogging, knowing that the more I did it, the more I'd learn and the bigger it would become. It STILL may just be my sister and friends reading this thing but after a year of blogging, I've come a long way!
And finally, in no particular order, here are the 11 kickass bloggers I wish to nominate (don't forget to let your nominees know so they can participate!):
- Morgan from Miss Semi Sweet
- Bristol from Colour Me Bristol
- Jen from Dressing with Class
- Rebecca from Super Style Me
- Kristina from Eccentric Owl
- Jamie from Petite Panoply
- Nora from Nora Finds
- Heather from The Arbitrary Fox
- Amanda from Welcome to Flipsville
- Kat from Covered in Cat Hair
- Rebecca from Winnipeg Style