Have you hopped the No-Churn Ice Cream train? I resisted for awhile but recently I caved. I was doing SO well in avoiding the black hole that was ice cream making, too.
You see, there are a few things I avoid adding to my kitchen on purpose. One is a donut pan and another is an ice cream maker. I figure, if I never own these things, I won't be able to give into my weaknesses.
Can you imagine me having a donut pan and ice cream maker at my disposal? Every damn day would be donut ice cream sandwich day! I just...no. I can't let myself go down that dangerously delicious path.
But then I started hearing about No-Churn ice cream recipes. What the whaaaaat? Ice cream you can make without an ice cream maker? Uh oh...
Last week, during our heat wave of the century (which we should have expected after snowpocalypse this past winter), I gave it a shot and pulled up Beyond Frosting's recipe for No-Churn Fudgy Brownie Batter ice cream.
OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS.
I ate that damn ice cream every damn day 'til it was damn gone.
Needless to say, I am now aboard the No-Churn train. It's so EASY! If you can mix sweetened condensed milk with a tub of Cool Whip with a spatula, you can make this ice cream.
It was as I shoveled another spoonful of brownie batter goodness into my mouth that I realized I could totally follow Beyond Frosting's method and make ALL KINDS OF ICE CREAM!
After consulting Cody on what flavor he'd like to see, it was decided I would try strawberry ice cream.
But then I thought of something even better than that - what if I added 1/2 cup of Strawberry Deluxe cake mix to the ice cream in the same way Beyond Frosting adds 1/2 cup of brownie mix to hers to kick things up a notch?
CUE ANGELS SINGING!
What I like about this strawberry ice cream is that it's pretty versatile. If you prefer a homemade strawberry compote vs the jarred ice cream topping, go for it! If you prefer just fresh strawberry chunks in your ice cream, stir in some chopped strawberries! The ice cream is your oyster, my friend.
Seriously, guys - you have to get on this No-Churn train with me. I may end up 10lbs fatter by the time we get cooler weather this fall, but I will be a happy chubster. With a bucket full of delicious no churn ice cream.
No-Churn Strawberry Deluxe Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Deluxe cake mix
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 8oz container Cool Whip, thawed
- 4 tablespoons, divided strawberry ice cream topping
- Handful fresh strawberries, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of cake mix with the sweetened condensed milk.
- Carefully fold in Cool Whip and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of strawberry ice cream topping.
- Pour ice cream mixture into freezer safe container.
- Drop 2 tablespoons strawberry ice cream topping onto ice cream and swirl using a knife.
- Arrange fresh strawberry slices on top of ice cream and place into freezer for 2-6 hours or until frozen throughout (I leave mine overnight for extra freezing time).